There are two ways to install bmlTUX.
For both methods, you should be in a new unity project that meets the Requirements
- Make sure you are targetting .NET 4.x in the Project Settings > Player > Other
- Make sure you have TextMeshPro version 2.1 or later installed. Go to Window > Package Manager, and look for TextMeshPro in the list.
- IMPORTANT: Make sure TextMeshPro Essentials are already imported. Go to Window > TextMeshPro > Import Essentials. Doing this after installing bmlTUX can cause display issues.
Through Unity Package Manager
Unity 2020.1 and later (recommended):
An update to Unity has allowed a much more seamless integration with the package manager, and will make updating bmlTUX much easier in the future.
- Navigate to Edit > Project Settings, and select the Package Manager tab.
- In the section called Scoped Repositories, click the + button to add a new entry. Type in the following information:
Name: BioMotionLab URL: https://registry.npmjs.org Scope(s): com.biomotionlab.tux
- Then open the Package Manager (Window > Package Manager)
- IMPORTANT: Make sure TextMeshPro Essentials are already imported (see above).
- From the dropdown pick "My Registries". You will see BioMotionLab listed. Install the latest version of bmlTUX!
- Future updates will appear here as a new version number.
Old way (not recommended):
- Go to the releases page https://github.com/BioMotionLab/TUX/releases. Don't download anything, just note the number of the most recent release. It Should be in the format X.Y.Z, for example 1.0.1.
- In a new unity project (Unity 2019.3 or later), open the Package Manager from the Window menu.
- Back in unity, click the plus button at the top of the window, selecting "Add package from git URL"
- IMPORTANT: Make sure TextMeshPro Essentials are imported (see above).
- Type in the following url, replacing X.Y.Z with the correct number noted above. and press "Add".
At first you may notice nothing happens. The Unity Package Manager provides little feedback, but behind the scenes, it should be downloading and importing. Eventually, you should see a loading bar appear.
When finished, in the Project window, expand the Packages folder, and you should see a folder called bmlTUX. You should also notice a new menu at the top of the screen.
You're all set.
As an old-style .unitypackage (definitely not recommended).
This is a bit simpler than above, but has several shortcomings.
- It is more difficult to update to newer versions.
- It pollutes your Assets folder.
- Increases compile time.
- Easier to accidentally break things.
On the releases page https://github.com/BioMotionLab/TUX/releases, download the most recent .unitypackage bundle.
In a new unity project, from the Assets Menu, select Import Package > Custom Package. Navigate to the download.
After import you should be all set.